Sunday, January 25, 2015

'Myth' from JohnM - 'Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde'


Here is my submission for the MYTH bonus round. Surprise........surprise something else from the West Wind EotD line! The good news is that I can not parlay the next bonus round HOT into something from my remaining EotD figures. 


It was interesting to read the wikipedia entry for Jekyll and Hyde. I had not even realized that the basis for this Myth was a novella by Robert Louis Stevenson. Nor had I known that the story was an allegory for the good and evil that exists in each man (and woman of course). I was further startled to discover that the main character, Dr Henry Jekyll, was suffering from a split personality with which he used the potion to cause the metamorphosis from character to the other.


I am not really sure if I believe that split personality disorder exists ( I will conform this with my wife who has a practice in psychiatry this evening), but in the meantime I think I can safely submit these figures to the MYTH round. They were fun to paint, I think the Edward Hyde figure is one of the biggest I have ever painted, he certainly is quite mean looking.


I found this early double exposure photograph of an actor who played the main characters in a stage production of the novella in the late 19th century, I thought it was sort of cool.

5 comments:

  1. Original entry John, full of personality. That old picture is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it interesting how often Mr. Hyde is portrayed in miniatures as bigger than Dr. Jakyell the Novella does not describe him as such the transformation was more "spiritual" than physical ... the Crouching figure of both your instillation and old photo are closer in spirit. I suspect its the influence of the nuclear age version of the myth better know as the Hulk. Very nice figures and very well painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was a little troubled by it as even in the movie versions do not make him "bigger" as Hyde.

      It did make him easier to paint though!

      John

      Delete
  3. Very nice brushwork! Jekyll and Hyde are my favorite of the silver screen and book monsters.
    "Jekyll and Hyde together again" and "League of Extrordinary Gentlemen" are my two favorite film versions.

    ReplyDelete